SKUGen - SKU Generator for Shopify
SKU is short for Stock Keeping Unit, is made up of alphanumeric characters and is designed to be unique to a single product. It’s important to note that the SKU is not the same as a product’s UPC (barcode).
If you are selling products it is important to set up your inventory correctly and one of the most important parts of this process is setting up the product SKU.
Save the time fighting Excel sheets to generate SKUs for our products.
- Speed - Create SKUs with ease for all your products in minutes.
- Consistency - You will be sure that all the SKUs are created using the rules that you set.
- Make SKUs unique - Using the app options you can ensure that the generated SKUs are unique.
The application is available on Shopify App Store.
The app includes a free to use plan which lets you create simple SKUs for all your products. Try it now!
With the free version of the app, you can generate SKU for all products in your store, using a Prefix, Suffix, Auto number and '-' as delimitter.
You can also preview the SKU generated using all the other app features.
For only $9.95 one-time fee, you can use all the features, as long as the app is installed on your store.
The app allows you to create SKUs by choosing a combination of codes created automatically, based on your product’s data or on the data you enter in the app.
You can combine the following elements to create SKUs:
- Prefix - It can contain only letters and numbers and is up to 5 characters long. It can be empty, if you don't want to use it
- PTA (Product title abbreviation) - It creates a product abbreviation from the product's title, taking either the first 3 letters or the initials of the first 3 words of the title. This option is available only for the paid version.
- POA (Product options abbreviation) - It creates a code from the name of the products options (product variant names). You can use one of the Coding types described below.
- PTA (Product type abbreviation) - It creates a code from the products type. You can use one of the Coding types described below.
- PVA (Product vendor abbreviation) - It creates a code from the products vendor name. You can use one of the Coding types described below.
- Auto number - It ensures that the created SKU code is unique for each run of the generator. The app does not check the unicity among all the products in your store. If you use the app to generate SKUs for collections of items, we recommend you change the start of the auto number, so that the code do not overlap. Also, if a product belongs to more than one collection and you generate SKUs for many collections containing that item, the SKU of the product will be overridden each time. It also works with zero padded numbers like 001.
- Suffix - Same as the prefix, it can contain only letters and numbers and is up to 5 characters long. It can be empty, if you don't want to use it
These code types are used for product options, product type and product vendor abbreviation.
- First character - Creates a 1 character code using the first character of the given name. This type of code does not ensure the unicity of the SKU. If two names start with the same letter, the same code will be generated.
- First 2 - Creates a two-character code using the first two characters of the name. It still may not be unique, since there are many words starting with the same two letter, but it's better than 1-char code
- First 3 - Creates a three-character code using the first three characters of the name.
- Code 2 - It creates a two-digit code for each name, starting with '01'. The code is unique for each name. If you generate SKUs for two collections, one after the other, both with products with type 'Shirt', for example, they will get the same code for the type 'Shirt'. You should use this if you have less than 100 unique names in that category (options, type or vendors).
- Code 3 - It creates a three-digit code for each name, starting with '001'. The code is unique for each name and works in the same way as 'Code 2'. You should use this if you have more than 100 unique names in that category (options, type or vendors).
You may create SKUs for all your products in one go or you may choose to create the SKU codes one collection at a time.
If you select to create the codes for a collection, you could use the Prefix or the Suffix to create a coding specific to that collection.
The collection filter is available for the paid version of the app.
This section lists 10 products, from the selected collection if you choosed to target a collection, to provide a preview of how the generated SKU will look like.
You can see, side by side, the existing SKU of a product (variant) and the SKU which will be created by the app, in real time, as you change the generator's options.